Friday 16 April 2010

The Death of the Author.

Whilst drawing today, I began to notice that my own memories and experiences of my family's faces are influencing my interpretation of drawing my dad as a child. As the drawing progresses, the face fluctuates between me, my sister, my brother, and even my mother's side of the family. As my siblings and I all have a lot of my dad's facial features I wasn't suprised at seeing our faces in his. However, it was when I started seeing my mum's parents and family in the face that I realised this must be my memory influencing my drawing.

Surely this follows Roland Barthes' 'The Death of the Author'? And does this happen with all our drawings and art, or just when it is as visually closely connected as family faces?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.