Monday 17 May 2010

Repetative Drawing

These are the drawings I have been working on so far. I began with this first image, then used the lightbox to get the outline proportions on a layout pad, then copied from the photograph again. I'm hoping that by doing this I can see any patterns in the faces- do they relate to my family members, and in the drawings techniques.

I found that the drawings 2,3 and 4 all looked much more alike than the first one. This could be because I drew the first one really concentrating on the photograph, using a lightbox under the layout paper. The drawings 2,3 and 4 I probably didn't concentrate as much, because there is a difference in drawing once you know you can draw an image- it becomes quicker and more relaxed. I think I need to start again and put the same concentration into all of them as the first one, almost making myself forget what it was like to draw it? I don't know. Let's keep trying.

Drawing One
Drawing Two
Drawing Three
Drawing Four
Before this, I tried tracing over my first drawing using the lightbox and layout pad. I found that doing this made the drawings really overworked, with emphasis on mark-making and line. This first drawing looked quite grotesque and zombie-like. As I went through the 3 drawings, I accumulated knowledge about what would happen if I drew it straight off (zombie) so was lighter with my marks, turned the lightbox on and off inbetween mark-making, so then produced a lighter, softer result in the second two.
Layout trace One
Layout Trace Two
Layout Trace Three
After this, I tried drawing from memory. To the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.